Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Episode 33- The Blow Out

Some time around 5:00 that morning the drugs started to wear off and I regained use of my limbs. I was drenched in sweat from the after labor and the constant panic attacks (which no nurses were aware of because I couldn't communicate). I'd suffered in silence for hours. But finally, I was able to start screaming. Something was very wrong with my lower half. I could feel it. It wasn't normal and it wasn't right. At one point it felt as if I'd been shot in the bum. Something was on fire down there and I started screaming for help.

A nurse ran in and asked what was wrong and I tried to tell her the best I could. She immediately checked my incision and my bleeding and that seemed to be okay, but my abdomen was hard as a rock. It was like I was having a massive contraction that wasn't ending. She threw my legs up to check under me and found that something was...hanging out. My rectum had literally flipped inside out. Think of the worst possible hemorrhoids imaginable. That's what had happened to my insides and it was because I was on waaaaaaay too much pitocin. It had caused my insides to not only expel afterbirth, but also everything that was near an opening down in the southern half. I'm lucky my entire uterus didn't blow out as well.

The pit was shut off quickly but the contractions wouldn't let up. By this point my mind went into another place. The only way to describe the place it went to is La La Land. It must be the place that you go when your conscious tries to hide from reality. I felt like I was floating. Then I started to hear screaming...the loudest screaming I'd ever heard. I looked around the room wondering who it was. I was so confused because I wasn't sharing a room and none of the nurses were screaming. Suddenly I realized it was me who was screaming.

I was yanked back to reality and saw two nurses standing over me hitting me in the stomach. Each of them stood at my sides and it was like they did CPR on my uterus. They were afraid I was about to hemorrhage and they had to get my uterus to go back to normal so they beat on me. Literally. Now after having a major incision through all those layers, then to have been through what I went through during the previous hours, imagine that kind of pain. No wonder my mind left my body for a short time. I'm convinced that must have blacked out because I don't remember anything after that. The next thing I knew it was light outside and they were bringing me a cup of brother to drink.


Devon said...

Holy cow Veronica, I have never heard of that! I am so glad you finally got them to understand what you were going through!! I am shocked at how incompetent many nurses are, and you (from reading the previous post) obviously had at least one of those. Yikes!!!

Valerie said...

What a nightmare! I am so sorry you had to go through that!

lilpeasinmypodfrom~God said...

Omgosh, that is a nightmare. I cannot believe you had to endure all that.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Veronica. I found your blog linked from someone elses. I have read the whole thing this morning and I have to say that I understand where you are coming from. Except that on the other side of the fence. I am bipolar- I was diagnosed with it when I was 14. Much of what I went through before diagnosis (psychosis, foggy thoughts, depression, suicidal ideation, violent behavior, short fuse, panic attacks, etc...) seems to me like that you went through on medications. It seems to me you were medicated into a state that I lived with every day. It's a scary thing! I'm glad you are off everything now and seem to be doing a lot better. I look forward to reading your future installments. :)