Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Episode 12- Erin

Cody saved my life by hiring a babysitter who stayed at our house from 9-5 Monday through Friday. Erin was a fourteen year old young woman from our ward and she was eager to make some cash during the summer, so it worked out well for all of us. We were in the process of building a house and we didn't have a dime to spare, so Cody took some money out of our 401K to help pay her the $5 and hour that she charged. Her fee was more than fair and she was saving up for an Ipod.

Erin was such a funny teenager and reminded me a lot of myself when I was her age. She never understood the specifics of why we needed her help; she thought that I was just having a complicated pregnancy and that I had a lot of doctor appointments. So she would come over in the morning and help with house work and entertain both Ethan AND me. I loved hearing of her teenage woes. She would tell me about the boys she liked and the drama that surrounded her "relationships". Erin lightened the mood a lot in our home and I don't know what I would have done with out her.

Simply having someone else in the house (besides Ethan) made me feel safe and more calm, even if she was only fourteen. It was a life saver because I had appointments with Schneiman twice a week and I would soon be meeting with the perinatologist once a week. I completely trusted Erin to watch Ethan while I was gone and it put my mind at ease. She continued to work for us until school started at the end of August.

No comments: